Butler Library Research Services
Research Support Services
- The reference desk is located in Butler 305 - The Digital Humanities Center (one flight up from the main entrance). It is staffed during reference hours.
- Telephone reference is available during reference hours: (212) 854-2241.
- Chat online or IM with a reference librarian via the Ask a Librarian service.
- E-mail your reference question. Non-Columbia affiliates click here.
- When the reference desk is closed or if you are starting your research, try library subject guides which give an overview of the major works in a field and strategies for further research.
- Individual research consultations with a librarian subject specialist are available by appointment to students and faculty working on research projects, such as senior theses, master's essays and doctoral dissertations.
- Check out the list of Classes & Workshops. You will find classes on Zotero, Photoshop and other programs. Workshops are open to all, while requested research sessions are for Columbia affiliates. In some instances, we offer educational workshops for non-affiliates, but our first priority is Columbia students, faculty, and staff.
- Columbia University instructors, contact us to set up an instruction session for your course.
About the Humanities & History Division
The Humanities & History Division at Butler Library provides a range of research support services to Columbia University students, faculty, staff and visiting researchers. There are many ways to get in touch with us and ask questions relating to library resources and services.