Timelines & Histories
The following is only a selection of websites and documents available online which can help you learn about the history of the University. You can find the original paper copies and additional resources by searching in the library's online catalog CLIO.
Links to a series of informative timelines created in 2004 for Columbia's 250th anniversary website:
- Columbia Through Time
- Columbians Ahead of their Time
- Women at Columbia Timeline
- Columbia College Student Life Timeline
- Columbia University and the City of New York Timeline
- Columbia and Higher Learning in America Timeline
Timeline of Columbia Engineering during their 150th anniversary:
- Timeline from 1864 to 2014
- Columbia Engineering 150
- History of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Sceince
Timeline of the Columbia Business School during their centennial celebration:
Timeline of the Core Curriculum:
Timeline created by the Health Sciences Library Archives & Special Collections:
Timeline created by staff at Columbia College:
Put together by Frank da Cruz, this site and photo gallery document the history of computing at Columbia University:
The Columbia Center for Oral History (CCOH) was founded by History professor and journalist Allan Nevins in 1948 and is credited with launching the establishment of oral history archives internationally. At over 15,000 interviews, the Oral History Archives is one of the largest oral history collections in the United States. It includes many interviews with Columbia alumni, faculty and staff. You can find lists of Columbia University-related oral histories in their research guide or use the Oral History Portal to search their collections.
- An historical sketch of Columbia College in the City of New York 1754-1876. New York: Printed for the College, MacGowan & Slipper, Press, 1876.
- A history of Columbia University, 1754-1904: published in commemoration of the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of King's College. New York: The Columbia University Press, The Macmillan Company, agents; London, Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1904.
- A guide to Columbia University, with some account of its history and traditions, edited by John William Robson. New York, Columbia University Press, 1937.
- The rise of a university, volume I : The later days of old Columbia College. New York: Columbia University Press, 1937.
- The rise of a university, volume II : The university in action. New York, Columbia University Press, 1937.
- A history of Columbia College on Morningside. New York: Columbia University Press, 1954.
- Crisis at Columbia: an inside report on the rebellion at Columbia from the pages of the Columbia Daily Spectator. New York: Columbia Spectator, 1968.
- Arrowsmith, Robert. Columbia of yesterday 1754-1897. Reprinted from the 1926 Columbian.
- Avron, Jerry et al. Up against the Ivy Wall: a history of the Columbia crisis, by Jerry L. Avorn, with Andrew Crane [and others] of the staff of the Columbia Daily Spectator. Edited with an introduction by Robert Friedman. New York, Atheneum Press, 1969 [c1968].
- Bergdoll, Barry. Mastering McKim's plan: Columbia's first century on Morningside Heights. New York: Columbia University, Miriam and Ira Wallach Art Gallery, 1997.
- Coon, Horace. Columbia: Colossus on the Hudson. New York: E.P. Dutton & Co. 1947.
- Cross, Timothy P. An oasis of order: the core curriculum at Columbia College. New York, NY: Columbia University, Columbia College, 1995.
- Dolkart, Andrew. Morningside Heights: a history of its architecture & development. New York: Columbia University Press, 1998.
- Humphrey, David C. From King's College to Columbia, 1746-1800. New York: Columbia University Press, 1976.
- Keppel, Frederick Paul. Columbia. New York: Oxford University Press, 1914.
- McCaughey, Robert A. Stand, Columbia: a history of Columbia University in the City of New York, 1754-2004. New York: Columbia University Press, c2003.
- Moore, George Henry. Collegium regale Novi Eboraci: The origin and early history of Columbia College. New York: Printed for the author, 1890.
- Moore, N.F. An historical sketch of Columbia College, in the City of New-York. New York: Printed for Columbia College, 1846.
- Nelson, Charles Alexander. Columbiana: a bibliography of manuscripts, pamphlets and books relating to the history of King's College, Columbia College, Columbia University. Lancaster, PA: The New Era Printing Company, 1904.
- Pine, John Buckley. King's College and the early days of Columbia College: A Paper Read at the Nineteenth Annual Meeting of the New York State Historical Association, October 3, 1917. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Pine, John Buckley. King's College, now Columbia University 1754-1897. New York: J. J. Little & co, c1896.
- Rosenberg, Rosalind. Changing the subject: how the women of Columbia shaped the way we think about sex and politics. New York: Columbia University Press, c2004.