Scan & Deliver Electronic Document Delivery Service
The purpose of this service is to provide electronically delivered scans of small portions of Columbia's general collections for private study, research, teaching or scholarship. Please review full terms of service before placing a request.
Scan & Deliver enables Morningside/Barnard/UTS/Lamont/CUMC/Law School faculty, students, staff and Provost-Appointed Visiting Scholars with library borrowing privileges to request scans of small portions of a work for the purpose of private study, research, teaching or scholarship.
- Search CLIO, the Columbia Libraries catalog, to locate the book or journal from which you need a scan
- Click on the "Scan" link under Request (Please note: not all material is eligible for Scan & Deliver)
- Log into your Interlibrary Loan (ILL) account
- Include as much citation information as possible
- Read and affirm the copyright acknowledgment
- Submit the request, please archive the confirmation email for reference as needed
Requested items will be delivered electronically within 3-5 business days
You will receive an email notifying you when the item is available. To retrieve your item:
- Log in to your ILL account
- Select "Electronically Received Articles" under the View menu
Scans will be available via your ILL account for 30 days.
- Q: How many articles/chapters can I request from a book/journal? A: The Terms of Service allow only a small portion of a work to be scanned, such as a chapter or article. Requests for entire works will be cancelled.
- Q: How many requests can I make a day? A: There is no limit on the number of requests you can make. Depending on staffing and request volume, the Scan & Deliver service reserves the right to process one request per person per day.
- Q: How long will it take to get the item delivered to me? A: The requested item will be delivered to your ILL account within 3-5 business days. There is no rush service.
- Q: Can I request delivery of an entire journal volume or book to another library or to my office on the Morningside campus? A: No, the Scan & Deliver service is only for scans of small portions of a work.
- Q: Can I make a Scan & Deliver request for a book chapter or journal article from books and journals shelved Offsite? A: You can place an "Electronic" scan request by clicking the "Scan" link from the CLIO record for the book or journal and filling in the citation. For more information, please see Offsite Library Shelving Facility (ReCAP).
- Q: I have a question that isn't answered above. A: Contact Scan & Deliver staff with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 854-7611.