The History & Humanities Division at Butler Library provides a range of reference and research services to Columbia University students, faculty, staff and visiting researchers. There are many ways to get in touch with us and ask questions relating to library resources and services.
- The reference desk is located in the Lawrence A. Wien Reading Room (301 Butler, one flight up from the main entrance). It is staffed during reference hours.
- Telephone reference is available during reference hours: (212) 854-2241.
- Chat online or IM with a reference librarian via the Ask a Librarian service.
- E-mail your reference question. Non-Columbia affiliates click here.
- When the reference desk is closed or if you are starting your research, try library subject guides which give an overview of the major works in a field and strategies for further research.
- Individual research consultations with a librarian subject specialist are available by appointment to students and faculty working on research projects, such as senior theses, master's essays and doctoral dissertations.
- Check out the list of Library Classes & Workshops offered in Butler. Along with introductory classes on library resources and services, you find classes on EndNote, RefWorks, Photoshop and several other programs.
- CU instructors, contact us to set up an instruction session for your course.